background

Monday, March 26, 2012

The grass is sandier

As the family and I were out working in the yard the other night, I began thinking about my forgotten blog and I had an epiphany. I will start blogging again and call it "The Grass is Sandier".

I'm sure you have all heard the old phrase "the grass is greener on the other side" applied to life in so many ways. This past year our family made a big transition. We moved to South Carolina. Randy started a job. I planned to stay at home. We bought a house. We said goodbye to friends and our beloved Church. Surely the "grass would be greener" here in South Carolina.

What we didn't expect was the sand. The sand in the grass and in our lives. Did you know that years ago the ocean came all the way up to Columbia, SC? At least that is what fossil records tell us. Well, I can tell you first hand that it is true based upon the sand that is my back yard. No, I have not started digging for fossils yet, but the moles tearing up our yard may find some in due time.

We didn't know the twists and turns that this year would behold. Yes, Randy got a job, but it was not what he expected. The insurance for his job did not plan out as exepected either, so I had to search for something to help make ends meet. The Lord opened a door and I started teaching at our local public middle school 2.4 miles from our house (7th grade science). We put our kids in day care (one thing we never wanted to do). We played in the backyard of our house--grass mixed with lots of sand. Sand in the carpet, sand in the bedsheets. Sand. It is like living at the beach except there is no ocean to be seen. Only sand.

However, in my epiphany the other day while working in the yard, the Lord reminded me of His faithfulness. He is faithful despite the sand in our lives. The annoying things that don't seem to go as planned.
Did you know it is much easier to plant things in the sand? It is easier to plant because it is easier to dig.
And we are doing a lot of digging these days. We are praying hard for God's direction. We are praying for our children and wisdom on how to parent them. We are digging into the Word of God. We are digging into His presence. We are digging in deeper to eachother, finding comfort in one another.
So, the name of this "new" blog; The grass is sandier. Full of unexpectedness. Full of potential. Full of unknowns.

I am here to tell you that the grass is not always greener on the other side, but it is definitely sandier on the other side. Come visit us in Columbia, Sc and you'll see what I mean!

--Katie

1 comment: